About Leak Testing
Leak testing is based on detection of leaks using liquid or gas as testing media. This way openings through which solids, liquids or gases can undesirably enter or exit can be detected, the leak rate can be measured, and the exact leak position can be identified. Leak testing is used to verify the tightness of specimens. Tightness tests play an important role, especially in production, because a wide variety of products and systems such as pressure vessels, welded and bolted joints or tanks in different industries require a certain level of tightness. Due to the different applications, various leak testing methods have become established.
DEKRA performs leak tests, using the following methods:
- Bubble emission, based on pressure change
- Tracer gas methods: This Leak testing method is used for the leak tightness verification of pressure vessels, welded and bolted joints, tanks at the different industry. The exact leak position can be identified.
Following equipment and materials are used for leak testing:
- Foam solution MR99
- Helium leak detector Helitest
- Absolute pressure meters Membranovac
DEKRA offers leak testing according to the following standards:
- EN 1593 – bubble emission method
- EN 13184 – pressure change method
- EN 13185 – tracer gas method
- ПНАЭ Г-7-019-89 – liquid and gas leak testing methods for equipment and pipe work of nuclear power plants
- Personnel certified in accordance with ISO 9712 requirements