DEKRA New Standard for Low Voltage Switchgear Assemblies (IEC 61439-1/2)
Almost a year ago, in May 2020 the 3rd edition of the IEC 61439-1/-2 was published. This new standard for low voltage switchgear assemblies is in many areas backwards compatible with the previous edition from 2011. This implies that from a testing perspective, tests performed according the 2nd edition are generally compliant with the 3rd edition.
- Requirements for PV and DC applications.
- Clarifications under which conditions products like power converters, speed drives can be incorporated in assemblies and verified accordingly.
- Requirements for Class II assemblies.
- Requirements for Aluminium.
- Methods/calculations are provided to ease temperature rise testing, which reduce the test time in case small adaptions are required to achieve a specified rating.
- Clarifications and guidance on how to verify the compliance for different ambient temperatures (as is required in some markets like the Middle East, Russia etc).
- Verification of assembly designs with active cooling.
- Clarifications for specific product designs which can help to reduce the number of short circuit tests to be performed on the product.